Tuesday 7 September 2010

Rush Hour Recipe #1

Ok anyone who keeps office hours, knows what a mad whirlwind rush a morning can be. I’ve been trying my hand at cooking so that I can qualify to the position of a responsible young woman (Plus since I plan to move out into a place of my own, long before the whole ‘marriage’ scenario can happen, it is always advisable to know how to make a filling for yourself.) And I’ve managed a fair few quickie, tasty recipes (Gosh, am I sounding like Tarla Dalal?)

So for the benefit of all those young women and even men, who find themselves in need of a quick plate filler, here’s an awesome preparation I learnt from my mother. It tastes delightfully awesome if made well.

Ingredients:

a. 3 Tomatoes (medium sized, diced into small pieces of about 1cm3)

b. 3/4th tspn Asifortedia (Hing)

c. ½ tspn mustard seeds

d. 3 Green Chillies, cut vertically into two pieces each.

e. Curry leaves

f. 1/4th tspn coriander seeds

g. Lump of Jaggery (around the size of a little ping pong ball)

h. 2 tblspn Crushed, roasted Peanuts

i. 2 tblspn Oil

j. Salt to taste

1. In a saucepan, heat the oil. Once hot, add the Asefortedia, Mustard seeds, chillies, curry leaves and coriander seeds. Allow it a few seconds and then add the diced tomato.

2. Stir for a minute, then add the salt and jaggery. Stir and cover to cook.

3. After allowing it to cook for five minutes, take it off the heat, mix in the crushed peanuts.

4. Serve (or eat!) with rotis.

Seemingly simple and simply delicious! The best part is, this stuff tastes great even if not hot so it’s ideal for packed lunches. I’ve just made it and I’m dying to share it at work tomorrow! Try it out and do let me know how it tastes! And don't forget to clean up after yourself!

Got your own runs hour story or a recipe? Mail it to me at ‘miilee@rushhourpages.in’ and I’ll share it here. (If it’s a recipe, then I’ll try it first and then share it with my pics with due credit to you…;) )



Here's my attempt (it's still hot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment